Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Corners

As I said in the previous blog, I am not writing this to complain but to educate one and all to some of the world that exists for someone who has a disability.  My disability happens to be an almost completely paralyzed left leg.  I have come realize the vast difference in the world of those who live in a world of freedom, I use to enjoy and never realized many of the vary things I am writing about.  I too just took it for granted.

Today's blog is called corners because of something that happens all the time to me and I am sure many others.  Walking the halls of a higher educational institution the unwritten rules are you walk on the right hand side of a hallway.  When a corner comes up the normal same rule exists.  Today, as so many times, as I was hugging a corner to turn to my right I slowed.  I was at an almost complete stop before stepping into the actual corner bend.  As was my guess someone, a young lady, was coming from the other direction.  Upon seeing her I stopped abruptly and avoided a collision.  She apologized said "excuse me" and continued on her way.

So here goes the lesson for those who fall in the category of that young lady.  First of all most of us like to take the shortest route which is why she cut close to the corner.  Just like a NASCAR race she was hugging the corner.  A problem is she has the ability to stop or turn on a dime, I do not.  When my left leg is going to move I physically throw it forward and it goes and lands pretty much where it wants.  I cannot control the muscles and simply stop, an easy feat for most but impossible for me.

Fortunately we did not collide.  To her I am sure it was looked at as just a slight occurrence.  A simple mishap and nothing more.  What would be nice is if she and many others would realize that the person coming from the other direction may not be able to maneuver or stop as one expects.  Be thoughtful and considerate and walk out and away from the corner next time, please.  It may not mean a lot to her but it means a lot to me.  It makes my life much easier and safer.  Thank you.

In addition:  After thinking about my writing, it appeared to me as a complaining blog.  That is the furthest thing from what I am wanting to convey.  That being the case I will add a bit to what I have already written.  I, like others, just take walking and interacting in life for granted.  The person who has the disability most likely does not have the ability to stop and adjust quickly, I know I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment