Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A new dance move ? ? ?

Well actually it isn't a dance move though it probably could be. Though it may not be compared exactly with the 'moonwalk' it is my unique step. What step? Well I will explain. As Beth was dropping me off for my teaching this morning I got out as normal and reached into the back seat for my case and lunch bag. With a city bus pulling up I attempted to hurry a little bit and as I quickly tried to step back i could not. My balance is not good as I have said and it is at its worse when I try to step backwards. So stage set I try to step back and lose my balance and I tried to regain it. The big city bus waiting right behind Beth's Saturn was an incentive to not go down. Well I did a few three steps sideways. followed by a complete spin followed by my bottoming out.

I ended up face down on the sidewalk / curb on Main Street. I fell fairly hard and twisted my ankle and smashed my left hip into the curb. I wasn't wearing my brace because I had my electrical STIM unit on to use because I had physical therapy later on. With no brace that is why my ankle twisted, which I get x-rayed tomorrow to make sure all is OK. Beth was asking through the rolled down window if I was OK. As is in the male genes I replied I was fine, no damage, no hurt and no pain. I was fine and she could go. A passer by, gentleman, stopped and asked me if I was OK and actually without his assistance I do not know if I could have been able to stand up.
He was so nice and asked me repeatedly if I was sure I was OK. I think he could see the hurt in my face.

I tried to teach and I did make it through all three classes but ended up home on the couch with ice on my ankle and hip area. I call this my dance move because I did the same thing about one and a half weeks ago. I guess in some ways I am still learning after seven months, maybe I am slow I don't know. It was nice to have a good Samaritan stop and help me as he did though. This falling is getting to be a too common experience. How do I learn that I do not have balance, something I have lived with for fifty two years and now I have to tell myself mentally "You do not have the ability to step backwards"? It is a normal function that we do everyday, over and over without any thought at all. Problem is I have to learn that I cannot do everything I use to do without thought, now I must think. Sounds odd to me, now I have to think. I thought I always thought but now I have to make special effort to think of things I still assume I can do.

With my sore body I was unable to do my physical therapy today which also bothered me. :-( So I would like to be able to say I have retired my dance career but my fear is it will resurface on its own. I have been saying since the first day home from the hospital, I have to be careful.

No comments:

Post a Comment