Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Fiernze

Well here we are in Italy, Forence to be more exact. I discovered that Florence is called Fierenze (I will call Florence from here on out) on maps and by those in Italy. What an experience especially as this is my first time in Italy or Eurpoe for that matter. The flight was great and customs was rather easy to get through. Look, smile, and they stamp the passport. We got our luggage and off to the train terminal in Roma so we can head out. I had three gypsy women approach me and try to rifle my pockets as we walked and with a frim NO they left. Beth was upset thinking I was just short and angry so I explained what happened. There was a nice lady with a baby only about three weeks old that helped us with the process of purchasing our train tickets which I was very thankful for.

Once in Florence, we grabbed a taxi to our hotel and had some ice cream before settling in for the night. Our room is in a hotel that was built in 1280 AD so it is very nice. Though old it is modern with heated towel racks. The staff is also great.

Today Beth and I took a tour bus of Florence, which I thought I would never do til my sixties at least, but there I was. It was fantastic and we learned a ton. Afterwards we decided to get some lunch. Learning the Euro system we found a nice restaurant and sat down. They had fresh made pasta so we ordered ravioli and it was fantastic. We finished lunch and walked the streets of Florence for about four and a half hours. We shopped and took pictures it was so very nice. More happened but that would be long and drawn out to explain here. It is enjoyable and tomorrow they, Tim my son and his bride Kristin mt new daughter(in-law) will be married. I am certain it will beautiful. Friday we head to Roma for a few days before we fly home to the States. What is fun is we get three English speaking channels, BBC news, CNN and Eurosports. I watched Walker Texas Ranger last night. I never knew he and his sidekick spoke fluent Italian. BRAVO!

1 comment: