Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Warmer weather

Well classes are winding down as the semester is coming to an end. I have worn my brace the last two days so I thought I would wear my electrical stim device today. I also had physical therapy so I thought it would be good to wear it for that as Andy, my therapist, has me use it in my therapy if I bring it.

Well this morning I got up and had my coffee got ready and put the device on. I have to run the wires down through my clothing and attach the pads to the side of my leg. It is a bit to connect it but it is so wonderful to have it work. I made sure I put the two freshly charged batteries in their case on the table just in case. Well off to school to teach so I get dropped off and I reach to try to turn it on and no power. So I reach into my bag only to see I left the batteries on the table. So I made my way to my office.

Now I am not looking for sympathy but want to explain what happened as a result of leaving my batteries. My left foot when I try to pick it up about six inches, it turns to a 45 degree sideways so the outside ankle is looking down and the toes do not come up but will drag unless I remember to make sure I pick them up. So I take each step this way with no support for the ankle because my brace is home. It was very difficult to walk, take each step and keep things level and not twist my ankle. I got to physical therapy and did as much as I could. I rode the bike for 1.4 miles so I did great there and Andy introduced a new task for me I named the "sammy the seal"' A therapist tosses the ball to me and I have to catch it and throw it back like a seal would do in the show. The difficulty is I have my feet touching next to each other or one foot in front of the other. The ball is thrown to the left and the right side. The goal is to be off balance but re gain it and not fall down. Andy spots me in case I do bad. Though a couple of times I teetered I did not fall nor need his help to maintain my balance which was great.

When I got home the lawn needed to be mowed but my ankle was hurting too much. That being the case I went inside and iced it down resting on the couch. Over all it was a good day but difficult with my disability giving me a hassle the best it could.

No comments:

Post a Comment