Friday, May 7, 2010

Medical update

Well today I had the honor of going to see my Neurologist, the man who first found my tumor and hospitalized me which probably saved my life so I am with all today. I thought all was well because I did not get a phone call after my MRI. My appointment was at 9 am and I knew it would be a few hours. Well they took me in pretty much on time and got some basic medical readings and then the intern asked me about some update on my situation. Well we talked a few more times as she came and left. My nine o'clock went to ten, then eleven and about noon Dr. Smith came in and asked if I wanted to view the MRI myself. Telling him yes we marched off to his office, he has these two computer screens that are about 36 inches. He showed me where the tumor was and how the brain has and will not fill in the empty area though it did grow about fifty percent of the space back.

While talking Dr Smith mentioned my "wallerian degeneration" which I took the time to list the definition for you:

wal·le·ri·an degeneration (w-lîr-n) n.
The degeneration of a nerve fiber that has been separated from its nutritive center by injury or disease, characterized by segmentation of the myelin and resulting in atrophy and destruction of the axon. Also called orthograde degeneration, secondary degeneration.

So that is the area or neural damage that will remain, though we talked about my physical therapy and the trouble my medical coverage is giving me saying it is not medically related. Dr Smith agreed to write up a letter for me to submit to them and in it he included the fact that my therapy should continue for another five months for my growth. I did graduate from a red (temporary) handicap permit to a blue (permanent) handicap permit. I never EVER thought of myself needing special parking at my young age. We did talk of my pain I am now experiencing from doing so much. It will be very hard for me to balance cutting back and yet still being active. From being an independent person since the ripe old age of eight.

I do know that whatever lays before me will be a reward. In my class on relationships the last chapter is on what is one going to do with their life. What path will they choose and I show a dvd of Viktor Frankl and his message is what will me make out of our situation. This semester watching it I was thinking to myself, this disability is an opportunity for me to do something, accomplish something, use it for even more than I have. I am not sure what that is but I do know I am open to it. Though I have limitations I realize I have abilities and opportunities that I must take. Over all not a bad day at the doctors, well not a whole day only five hours. Dr Smith is well worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment