Thursday, July 22, 2010

One Year

It was one year ago today that I lay on an operating table while they took the tumor out of my brain. What an interesting year it has been too. I have so many people telling me, "Look how far you have come" and I honestly do not see it. I guess one reason why is because I am so busy going forward I don't take time to stop and look around. When I do reflect I see how much I have done and accomplished in one year. To think that a year ago Dr Pilcher cut my skull off and went into my brain and here I am living life again is amazing in so many ways.

Now onto today. In my efforts to get this monster of a house painted so I can sell it I am so close to finishing I thought I would put efforts into painting. It is so close to being done I wanted to get into it. I had just bought a new aluminium 6 foot step ladder for safety too. Well I did pretty good and I 'thought' I could reach a bit further extending out to the left. I started to lose my balance and with my left leg having a mind of its own, it would not listen to me when I was telling it to bend and balance back. So as if in slow motion I fell to the left side and went down. Damage control was done after I finished falling and I had hit my back which was hurt and marked up but other than that I was good to go. I could say I am still learning my new normal but I think really it is trying to learn to accept what my new limitations are. Either way I am so grateful for today and the ability to paint and enjoy the day. I did take a dip in the pool afterwards to cool off and it worked wonderfully. I cannot swim around at all like I use to but it is nice and enjoyable and great for exercise.

On a last note the medication for helping me sleep and take care of the leg muscles seems to be working less and less. Last night I was up from 12:30 am til 3 in the morning before I was able to get back to sleep. I called my neurologist and he said we have an appointment set up in another week so we will look at it then. I guess for now I will suffer through each night and get what sleep I can. I do know when I awoke this morning I was real tired so maybe I will take some afternoon naps.

1 comment:

  1. It really is amazing to think a yr ago you were getting the surgery. I'm glad you are ok from the fall!

    ReplyDelete