Sunday, November 29, 2009

Weekend Update

It would be a lot easier but more boring if I updated this on a daily basis, I think. Had a busy weekend and an interesting one. First off I went to Canada for two days and one evening. I realized how slow I walk when we were walking through Niagara On The Lake. What an interesting learning experience also. We stopped for some lunch and I needed to use the restroom. Well it was located downstairs, it was an older building which is Niagara On The Lake, and then a long small hallway. Then back up but lunch was great. We walked and I tried to remember which stores were around. Not all of it came back to me. Afterwards it was back to the hotel in Niagara Falls and an accessible room. I learned that the accessible room was a bit more than I actually need at this point. That was a good thing as about six weeks ago I would have needed many if not all of the installed items making the room accessible. I nice walk and dinner rounded off the night. Breakfast the next morning was also interesting. I was making my way to a table with my cane and a foodtray in the other hand. Three ladies in their 20's were sitting there and the fourth chair was pushed away from the table making it difficult to get by. Unfortunately no one offered any assistance at all but I made it just fine. As I was eating another man came in using a push walker. One on wheels where you can kneel on it as you go. Seeing how seating was not available it was obvious he was going to have to take the same path I did and that chair was still there. As he made his way all three staired as he had to move the chair himself to get by. Not one of them said a thing, but I did under my breath. I said, "You know like me I am positive he did not ask for the condition he currently has and is dealing with." Beth said to me "God has really opened your eyes to this area of life hasn't He?" I answered yes He has. While I was finishing up a fourth came and sat at the chair pushed away from the table. When she sat down she did not pull the chair to the table as I was taught to do as a child. As I was leaving it was barely enough room for me to get by. I will say that she 'leaned' forward in the chair, but did not move it. I told her "Thanks that helped a lot." It is like people who have struggles are invisible to so many people. Why are some like that today and I will be the first to admit I did not notice people being that way prior to this. Well the ride back was interesting too. If you know the bridges at the border there are three and the furtherest one to the north is Lewiston which is usually the most open. Well it took us almost 2 hours to get across and that was with six lanes open letting cars through. It did only take us about 30 seconds to get through on our turn. My sleep has improved again and that was good. I do have therapy tomorrow and I need to tell the therapist that my quads (upper leg muscles) were a bit sore and still are. I have also noticed that when my left leg is growing tired and I stretch it like normal my toes actually stretch up and back. What is weird is that after the stretch I cannot do it on my own. I think this means that eventually I will be able to do it. I am not a neurologist but if I can do it automatically with a stretch but not on my own power that the connections are there I just have to connect them up for me to use. I will check with Andy tomorrow and see what he has to say on it.

1 comment:

  1. Every time you mention people not being very courteous like this it blows my mind. That's just good manners! People must be lacking in them these days.

    ReplyDelete