Wednesday, January 13, 2010

COOL gift - Great Day !

Have you ever had a day that was absolutely fantastic? Well I had one today, not that everything went my way because it didn't. I had problems and obstacles but it was still a great day. After testing my students on what they know and lecturing I headed out for a lunch date. This lunch date was not just any old lunch date it was with two very special people in my life. One was the person who never gave up telling me to get a second opinion from her neurologist which ended up saving my life. So yes this was a very special lunch and then the other lady has been so supportive and helpful in my life also. I am certain, 100% certain that God put both of these people in my life for this purpose. What is so neat is they took me to lunch and it was as if time stopped and nothing else in the world existed for that hour. It was absolutely fantastic. Then I had the physical therapy visit. That went great also. I did over a mile again on the bike and then Andy had me do my exercises and I did those, only more of them. Then after my exercises Andy got the portable electrical stim device out and hooked it up to my leg again and I walked on the treadmill. I walked and with the device I was able to walk normally with my left foot. When I would pick it up it was level and the toes were raised with the heel lower like normal. It was fantastic because I actually did not have to sit there and mentally tell myself "pick the foot up straight up, bring it forward holding it in the air and then put it down slowly so it falls flat and does not twist on the ankle". Yes that is what I say to myself every time I take a step so I do not twist my ankle and learn to stop using my hip to pick the foot up. My neurologist sent the prescription to Andy so I was able to bring the unit home with me. We don't know yet if insurance will pay for any of it. If not I can return it and pay nothing as it costs $1,800.00 . I was like a child at Christmas using it to walk. I was so happy to see myself walk normally, and I just believed I can do this on my own someday. A renewed charge of energy and it was great. My problem is that Andy said that I need to watch that I do not fatigue the muscle so I can use it only at 10 minute intervals a couple times a day. Andy was teaching me where I need to put the pads for the electrical current to stimulate the correct muscle. So me being inventive took his pen and put a few light marks on my leg and then when I got home pulled out my Sharpie [permanent marker] and made guide marks on my left leg so I can hook it up the right way. So over all my [not mine out right yet] cool portable stim and lunch with the lady who pushed me to do what I needed for myself made this a fantastic day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you could have lunch with people that helped you so much!! I hope insurance does pay for the device. That would be wonderful for you to have!

    ReplyDelete