Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What a day

I will admit that last night I was able to sleep more than the few previous nights, and for that I am thankful! Up and going early this morning, off to school for my longer day of teaching. On Tuesday's and Thursday's I have three courses for a total of four and one half hours of teaching. I do have a one hour break in between the second and third classes. After the teaching it is off to my physical therapy to gain more movement and strength in my left leg.

Out of the starting gate I told Andy, my physical therapist, that after my last visit my upper leg muscle was so sore that I could not sleep. I also informed him that I did work around the house and it aggravated it more. Andy agreed to fore go the weight machine with me and focused on the exercises and bicycle. He told me I could set my resistance and the highest I have done it 5.1 . Well anyone who knows me could guess what I did, I pushed it up to 6, I figure why not, I can do, and I can do it so I can play with Molly. Not too long afterwards, I only do 12 minutes, I put it back down to 5.1 and gave in. My new normal has to contain 'give in' or life will be problematic for me.

When I came out of surgery the doctors told me there was o way I could teach in September and I proved them wrong. I was teaching part time, and I taught but I also taught full time. HA! Look at me. Then of course I have my practice and that is hard on me because I have a hard time saying no to people in need. Ok, I don't say no to those who are in need. Well I can easily say that after seven months of teaching, I taught a class in between regular semesters, I am asking myself, why. After therapy today and doing a bit of shopping I was beat. My leg was beat too because when my left leg has been pushed too much it has muscle spasms (bouncing up and down). Also when I try to walk when I pick the left foot up it shakes back and forth til I plant it down again. Well the leg was doing lots of movement telling me it was spent, done, let me rest!

So I sit and rest watching 'house hunters' and am already for bed at 7:30. Some of that may be due to age also. I am going to challenge myself to actually live up to SLOWING DOWN. If I do, and I will try, it will be a very first time occurrence for me. People who know me know I have always pushed to the limit and then I push some more. For my initial recovery it worked to my favor however I will admit that now it is becoming my enemy. Getting referrals for my practice and having people in need makes it difficult to say no. I realize I am not the only one who can help people, however when people seek me out I find it hard to say, sorry not today.

Upcoming is my next MRI in the coming weeks, they do them every six months about to see if the tumor makes a second appearance. It will make an encore appearance the only question is when. The nicest thing about MRI's is I get to take Valium because I do not like enclosed spaces and I am in there for a bit over an hour. Well good night to all and I hope to connect with some old friends for lunch soon........

No comments:

Post a Comment