Thursday, August 13, 2009

August 13th

Well day three of my therapy. I thought I did a lot of things already but I was wrong. I had an obstacle course to maneuver by using only my left leg that has about 20% use. I had to check my balance ability, they are real good at testing my skills at being able to function on my own. Though it is hard work it is very encouraging and they are also very encouraging to me. I am there for an hour and they work me the whole hour, stairs, tricks, long walks, walking in the grass to see balance, and I even rode a bicycle. Well it was stationary too, but it felt so nice to feel the left leg exercised. Beth stayed the whole time and then off to my primary care doctor so he could see me and where I was at. I have not seen him since the beginning of May when they were telling me all that was wrong with me was a 'weak left foot' and nothing more. The doctor did put me on the new blood pressure medicine that the hospital put me on because the one I had been on since 1991 was not working. The therapists are 'amazed' at my accomplishments and growth in only one week. I credit them and they credit me, either way what is wonderful is that I am making progress and I love it. The doctors were telling me back in the beginning before surgery that I should NOT plan on teaching this fall. So I saw only a few clients today and none now until Monday. What I also love about this therapy is I am doing more and more on my own, becoming more free and gaining more freedom. It feels so good to do things for myself. I do like having Beth do things for me also though don't get me wrong. She helps out so much. We picked up the adjustable ankle weights so I can use them at home on my own for physical therapy. I do take time out for me though. I want to thank Kate (the daughter in Wisconsin) for starting this blog and updating everyone in the beginning. She did a wonderful job and was such a help. I have some friends who sent me a Robert Frost book which I am also enjoying reading. I realize I need my down time and I take it when I need it, I will take care of myself and continue to as I am learning a new way of living life.

2 comments:

  1. They're pushing you good in therapy! With your great attitude you will make great progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of you both ... Phil for having such an optimistic outlook and "work" ethic, and Beth for being such a loving caregiver. Total strangers could benefit from reading this blog (thank you, Kate!) -- how could anyone ever read it without becoming inspired?!
    Keep up the good work -- and I hope to see you in the not too distant future.
    Prayers continue for all of you ... Hugs, Anne

    ReplyDelete