Saturday, July 11, 2009

Faith Unshaken

Hi, this is Karissa. I arrived safely from Tennessee last night. Today ended up being a rough day for my dad. The morning went fine with a visit from my brother Tim. Later, we went to lunch as planned with Beth, my Uncle Jim and Aunt Karin. Just as we finished eating my dad felt a seizure coming on. Beth quickly gave him an anti-seizure pill but unfortunately that didn't prevent it. My Uncle Jim carried my father out of the restaurant, while still in his chair, with the help of a good samritan at the table next to us. They got him outside and onto his side as the doctor had instructed and waited. The seizure only lasted around 5 minutes which is far shorter then they were before the medication and affected his left leg but not so much his left arm this time. The EMT's checked him out and my Uncle Jim drove us home. We spoke to the on-call doctor who doubled the dosage of the steroids he is on and advised us that if he has another seizure or the headache he has now gets worse tonight or is still there tomorrow, we are to take him straight to the emergency room.

Despite all of this, my father's faith and trust in God remains strong and firm. I want to thank Pastor Larry and Uncle Jim for coming out later tonight to give Dad and Beth communion, it meant alot to both of them. Unfortunately, due to the hectic situation and fear at the restaurant, we didn't get the names of the people at the restaurant who helped us but I thank God for each of them. They were all so kind, compassionate, understanding and helpful and I truly appreciate their help. Lastly, I ask everyone who reads the blog to keep my dad in your thoughts and prayers and follow my father's example. He said that God has a plan even if we don't know what it is. God is at his side and will never leave him. While it may feel like God gives us more then we can handle, Pastor Larry said it best tonight when he said that God never gives us more then HE can handle.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update, Karissa ~ I am thankful you arrived safely ... I remember being introduced to you by your Dad several years ago at the end of the A.C.T. program. I know your Dad was so looking forward to your arrival and to visiting with you and Tim. I am glad that you are both there with him and Beth, and I am hoping the remainder of the evening went well for Phil and for all of you. Phil has given so much of himself to so many...always spinning his positive attitude to whatever the situation may be at the time. He is such an incredible person -- I have never met anyone in my lifetime who exudes more fellow feeling than him -- in short, he is a stalwart example of a true Christian. Please know your family is not alone through this difficult time -- there are many of us praying for Phil and for his family. If you should need anything during this time, please contact me at either (585) 394-0085, or by e-mail: executype@rochester.rr.com
    God bless ... Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. The boys and I praying for Phil... for all of you. May His strength and peace flow in and through all of you.
    In His grace,
    April

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you all here in Texas.

    ReplyDelete