Saturday, July 25, 2009

Saturday Evening

Hello everyone,
It's Beth and I wanted to report that once again Phil had a good day (keep 'em coming Lord) It's amazing how much it helps Phil to get cleaned up, put on some fresh clothes (even if it's pajamas), and take a walk (however short). Today, when I arrived my husband was waiting for me (because for some reason Steve, the RN, was no longer good enough to help him shave and bath) In any event, I assisted him in the morning rituals and helped him walk back to his chair. He sat up for quite awhile and then I asked if it was okay to put him in a wheelchair and take him for a walk. I think I was more excited than Phil. We went to the 1st floor (the neurology unit is on 5th floor) and I walked him outside and we enjoyed a nice warm breeze for app 15 min. It seemed like a miracle! I took him back to his room, helped him in bed and he promptly fell asleep for about an hour. His recuperation is still a marathon (not a sprint) but everyday it seems more and more possible that Dr. Phil will actually be back teaching in the fall. The doctor removed Phil's bandages and we've begun the tedious process of "cleaning" his head, not much fun (and trust me, I didn't go near any of the 65 staples). Anyway, like my mom always said "It's amazing what a little soap and hot water can do - she may have said elbow grease but it didn't seem appropriate in this case. Kate told Phil that he should keep the bald look and grow a beard but when he saw his reflection in the mirror, he was highly motivated to shave (and I think he felt better with a nice smooth face). He's getting there, day by day. He is so enjoying the cards and letters that people have sent (Note to self: always good to get mail when you are not feeling well) and we both appreciate your continued encouragement and prayers. Specifically, please pray for his time in the rehabilitation unit this week. We understand that he will be transferred on Monday for a 5-day in-patient stay. It will be a lot of work and I'm sure it will hold its share of challenges and frustrations. Phil will need lots of good thoughts and especially God's hand holding and guiding him. We are both humbled by all of you who have joined us on this walk towards healing. God has blessed us richly with friends and family. Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad that things are going well at this point. I will continue to pray for strength and recovery. It is great to hear that Phil may be back to teaching in the fall. What great news! I am grateful that Phil has such loving people around him to help him through this time. What a wonderful family. You are all so lucky to have each other. Keep smiling, keep praying, and keep loving!

    Lindsay and Reese

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to hear he's doing well! Is there an address to send cards to the hospital?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such great news to hear that Phil's progress is so positive! The power of prayer, coupled with the loving care that he is receiving from you and the rest of his family, cannot be beat! Thank you, Beth, ever so much for taking time from your busy schedule of caregiver, paralegal, mother, and grandmother (and God only knows what else is on your daily "to do" lists!) to provide the rest us with updates on Dr. Phil's progress. Kudos to you and to Kate -- he is so fortunate to have you in his life. I still remember the look on his face the day that he announced to me that he was a grandfather -- so proud and full of love! I am sure Molly returns that love ten-fold. Bet she can't wait until he feels better so that she can see him.
    Prayers will continue for his rapid recovery ... we are all blessed to have him in our lives! Anne

    ReplyDelete